Our recipe of the month is a vegetarian take on a family favourite – lasgane! Big thanks to Nutritionist Tammy Mond for this delicious delight!
2 tbs oil
½ red onion, chopped
2 x 400g cans lentils, rinsed and drained
1 x can or tin of tomato pasta sauce, of choice
1.5 cups of kale, washed and chopped
4 egg whites
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp pepper
Pinch of salt
1 x box instant lasagne sheets
1 x cup mushrooms, sliced
1 x handful basil leaves, washed and chopped
1/2 cup yellow cheese of choice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c.
2. Peel and grate the pumpkin. Put aside.
3. Slice the mushrooms. Put aside.
4. Pour and heat oil into a large saucepan over medium to high heat. After a couple of minutes, add the onions and cook.
5. Once onions have started to brown, add the lentils, pasta sauce and kale.
6. Reduce the heat and cover the saucepan. Whisk the egg whites and then transfer to a larger bowl. Add the ricotta, oregano, pepper and salt. Mix together.
7. Return to the saucepan and turn off heat.
8. Start to assemble the lasagne. Spread some of the lentil mixture at the base of the cooking dish and the place one layer of the instant lasagne sheets. On top of the lasagne sheets, pour a layer of the ricotta mixture, then a layer of pumpkin, then a layer of the mushrooms and then another layer of lentils. Continue layering, with the lasagne, pumpkin, ricotta mix, mushroom and lentils.
10. Grate the cheese and together with the basil leaves sprinkle on top of the top layer of lasagne.
11. Bake for 45 minutes.